August 28, 1874, the Holy See created the Diocese of San Antonio out of a portion of the western part of the Diocese of Galveston. When Bishop Anthony Dominic Pellicer, first bishop of the Diocese of San Antonio, arrived in San Antonio at the end of 1874 he found a quiet little city of less than 13,000 people, predominately Spanish-speaking, with four parishes, San Fernando Cathedral, already 136 years old, had been rebuilt only a few years previously.
• 1875, Bishop Pellicer reports diocese numbers 30,000 Catholics served by 33 missionaries and one native-born priest, 41 churches, 7 chapels, 44 missions, 18 schools, one seminary, one college, and one orphanage.
• 1885, New chancery built on Dwyer.
• 1926, San Antonio becomes an archdiocese and Archbishop Arthur Jerome Drossaerts becomes the first archbishop.
• 1941, Installation of Archbishop Robert E. Lucey becomes the city’s second archbishop. Also, San José Mission becomes a National Historic Site.
• 1942, “Alamo Register” becomes an official archdiocese newspaper.
• 1956, Bishop Stephen A. Leven consecrated auxiliary bishop.
• 1957, “Alamo Register” and pioneer “Southern Messenger” merge to become “Alamo Messenger.”
• 1972, former “Alamo Messenger” becomes Today’s Catholic.